SPORTS

IPL 2020 Likely To Be Cancelled Amid COVID-19 Outbreak

As new cases of COVID-19 continue to surface in the country every day, the Indian Premier League now faces a threat of cancellation. Official information that the 13th edition of the IPL will be called-off.

The source also informed that the mega audition will not take place in the next season. Earlier, the IPL had been suspended till April 15.

The source said “IPL will not happen this year. We all know how the situation is at the moment in the country and no one will take any risk. One can’t have social distancing in the stadium. It’s better to play IPL next year.”

This year’s IPL edition was scheduled to be held between March 29 and May 24. However, the event was suspended till 15th April due to the coronavirus outbreak. It was also suggested that the league could be played behind closed doors.

There were speculations that this year’s IPL edition could follow the pattern of IPL 2009, which was completed within 37 days. The tournament was hosted in South Africa owing to Lok Sabha Elections back home.

With 22 double-headers, IPL 2009 started on April 18 and ended by May 24.

It is also being said that the mega auction of IPL 2021 may not take place if this year’s season is called-off.

The source adds  “No mega auction will take place. We will inform the franchises once we get final confirmation from the Indian government, the same season can continue next season.”

You Might Also Like